History of the Library

Orrville Public Library

Orrville Public Library began in 1925 with a collection of 600 books in a vacant room at the high school. The present building was dedicated in 1941. The building and grounds were owned by the City of Orrville.  Facing Main Street, the building was two stories, approximately 58’ x 33’ or roughly 3,800 square feet. The library dedicated an addition of 7,062 square feet on March 13, 1977. The library moved to a temporary location at Gradall, 600 East Chestnut Street, in February 1999, while work proceeded on an addition and renovation.  The present 25,000 square feet facility opened on July 5, 2000.

Alma Frey was the first librarian. She was succeeded in 1943 by Gladys Nichols. Mary Tarry Douglas became the librarian in 1948, and served until her retirement in 1971. Eleanor Wilson was Director from 1971 – August 1987. Lynn Stainbrook became Director on August 3, 1987 and served until December 1997. Margaret Sander served as Interim Director until March 1998. Cindy Lombardo assumed duties on March 23, 1998, and continued as Director until January 16, 2004. Leslie Picot began as Director on June 7, 2004, retiring on May 6, 2011. Margaret Maupin served as Interim Director until September 2011. Kathleen Jozwiak served as Director from September 2011 until May 2013. Margaret Maupin resumed the Interim Director duties. Daphne Silchuk-Ashcraft began as Director on August 5, 2013.

The library is a School District Library under the jurisdiction of the Orrville Board of Education.